Junk filled garage?
Spring is finally here, and it’s the perfect time to clean out your garage.
One out of four Americans states their garage is too cluttered to fit their car! Leaving your car out in the elements gives an opportunity for everything from hailstorms to tree limbs to cause damage to wreak havoc. And while we’re here when you need us, cleaning out your garage to make room for your car makes good sense.
25% of Americans can't fit their car into their garage because of all the junk.
Here are some tips to get your car into your garage in no time:
- Sort everything. Yes, you have to move it all out. Going through everything gives you a sense of what you have, what you need, and what you don't. Now is the perfect time to separate and organize. You can even make a little money with a garage sale for the next weekend to get rid of those items you don’t need or use.
- Clean, then store. Once your garage is empty, clean it out! Sweep it, hose it down, and get rid of the dirt. Consider investing in storage solutions to keep everything tidy. Ceiling storage is a big trend in garage organization because it gets items off the floor. Hooks are also great solutions to hang bikes from the ceiling or wall. And don’t forget storage bins to stack items. Clear bins are great for the garage so you can easily “find” what you’re looking for without opening each bin.
- Plan your space. Just because you’ve always kept the toolbox on the left doesn’t mean it has to stay there. Create a simple plan using graph paper to help you maximize space. Maybe moving the toolbox closer to the house entry works better ... since you use most tools in the house. Perhaps hanging the bikes near the exit so you don’t have to carry or roll them through the garage and risk dinging the car makes sense too. Just because something has “always been there” doesn’t mean it has to stay there. Plan your layout for better organization.
- Organize. Pinterest is a great spot for some really cool do-it-yourself (DIY) organization tips and tricks. You might find some great storage ideas to take your garage organization to the next level. You don’t have to spend lots of money when you can DIY. Use your creativity and your imagination.
- Sell and donate. Decide which items you don’t need but someone else might want and price and prepare them for the yard sale. Some items can be sold on Craigslist or LetGo. That cash might fund the storage solutions or a new tool splurge. Feeling charitable? Donate leftover usable items to your local charity thrift store.
- Dump it! Finally, take everything you don’t need, want, and can’t sell or donate to the dump. Don’t forget many dump locations also have recycling centers where you can also recycle old fuel, oil, and dispose of old paint cans you have. Be environmentally friendly and dispose of those items correctly. Visit your county’s waste management website for more details.
Spring has sprung and it’s a great time to clean and organize the garage. This tips will help you achieve your goal and get better use out of your garage.
And if you happen to scrape the front fender pulling into the garage (like I did!), M3 can help you with that solution as well.